Dr. F. Andrew (Andy) Hodge (B.S.A., D.V.M.) was born in Teulon, Manitoba on October 7, 1922. He received all of his early education there. In 1942, he graduated from the University of Manitoba with a Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture and was awarded the “gold medal.” Hodge joined the RCAF and proudly served his country for the next three years, both at home and in Koggalla, Ceylon.
In 1945 at the end of the war, he pursued his chosen career at the Ontario Veterinary College. A D.V.M. degree and a second “gold medal” were the fruits of his labor. He was the only double gold winner ever to have practised in Manitoba. In 1946, he married Marion, his lifelong partner, and they raised their family of three: Greg, Pam and Mary Lou. He began his career in Winnipeg but in 1949 he moved to Hamiota.
Dr. Hodge has a distinguished professional record of service for he was noted as an astute and brilliant diagnostician. He served on the council of the MVMA and was particularly busy as its president in the 1950s because of the outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease. From 1977 to 1981, his practical knowledge and excellent advice made him a valuable member of the MVMB.
Dr. Hodge was instrumental in establishing the Hamiota and District Veterinary Clinic. The opening of this new facility was a proud moment for this man. Not only did it mark the beginning of a new type of animal medical practice, but it also marked the culmination of difficult negotiations with the five surrounding municipal organizations and the Veterinary Service Board. In 1985, the MVMA recognized his many contributions by granting him a life membership.
Hodge was a “community” person. Many people will remember him as a charter member of the Hamiota Lions Club, a school board trustee, an avid curler, a hockey coach, a heritage supporter but most of all as a friend. The community is in his debt, for during his life, he gave most generously of his time and his abilities to his country, his profession and to his community.